Saturday, October 07, 2006

Movies

Andrew and I are signed up to a internet dvd rental shop. It is fantastic. All we have to do is add the movies we want to watch and we get them in some kind of order, not exactly the order we were expecting, but we get them. The other week we watched Million Dollar Baby. I found it incredible heart renching and not at all what I was expecting. I expected the Hollywood ending and didn't get it, but I was not disappointed. The relationship between the two main characters was very genuine and you could see the anxiety in Clint Eastwoods character as the movie comes to and end, protecting his finghter until the end. Her family was not well done though. You only saw them twice and though it was easy to tell straight away the kind of people they were, I think they were a little two-dimensional for my liking. But none the less, I recommend this movie.
I also finally watched The Village. It was something Andrew wanted to see, so I put it on the list. I went in thinking it was going to be terrible, plus I already knew the plot twist. But even though I knew the twist, I thought it was played very well. It was an interesting story with the parents and how everyone came to be in 'the village.' I don't want to give it away. There decision to stay in the village and bring the children up there though I did not think was a good idea. The idea of the village may have been good to begin with, but I thought the children deserved more, and the parents weren't willing to give it up. Again, I recommend this one.
We have also started out way through the Godfather trilogy. I have never seen ay of these movies before so it is a completely new experience for me. I have not been one for Mafia movies, but this has been done so well. The way Michael's character changes and contorts through the first movie to become who becomes was fascinating, and sad at the same time. I felt that his family drew him in when he wasn't like them. In the end he turns out to be just like them. We are going to watch the second one tonight. I said that we had to cook lots of pasta and drink some good Italian wine while we watched. Everyone in the movie seemed to be so I thought it would help us to understand the movie more. Plus I love pasta, it was a great excuse.
There are a couple of movies out at the cinemas I really want to see. There is An Incovenient Truth, about global warming, and Children of Men that is set a few years in the future. This one looks great. Not only does it have Clive Owen in it, but the storyline is very relevant. Basically people have become infertile and no matter what no one can have children. They find a young pregnant woman and it is about getting her to a safe place and try to discover how to be fertile again. No doubt we won't get a chance to go and see it, but if anyone else gets the chance, please let me know what you think. There is another movie, I think it has already finished at the cinemas. It is called Right at Your Door. There has been a terrorist attack with a dirty bomb and everyone in LA has been infected. The reports tell people to seal themselves in their houses for a number of days until everthing can be declared safe. A man sees his partner off to work, he stays at home, she gets infected. The story is about the fight in his mind of whether to let her in and infect him as well, or let her stay outside. I have no idea what happens, but it looks like it gets pretty intense.
Anyway, they are my reviews, hopefully as time goes on, I shall add more.

1 comment:

Ray said...

An Inconvenient Truth is a must-see. Kind of like a 90 minute lecture but it is riveting. I also want to see Children Of Men. The Devil Wears Prada is also worth seeing!