Sunday, October 01, 2006

June 27 2006

Australia has been knocked out of the world cup. Though everyone keeps telling me we were robbed. But unfortunately these things can't be changed. It has been incredibly exciting being here for the world cup. The atmosphere is crazy. Although the English team are winning they are constantly being harrased and the media will only talk about the fact that they are playing so badly. No one seems to grasp the fact that, well, they have made it through. From now on they are going to have to pick up their game if they expect to get any further.
I saw the Da Vinci Code on the weekend. Even though there is so much controversy surrounding the movie, the cinemas are still full of people. We found that it was rather dumbed down from the book. It has been turned into an easy to follow movie. I am not sure as to why people have said that it isn't easy to follow unless you have read the book. I have to admit the ending was done very badly. I won't give away the ending in case people want to see it. There was no build up to discover the truth, no real sort of suspense to it and even though I have read the book it felt obvious as to how it would end. It was very Hollywoodised, which was a shame. The storyline, where the controversy lies, is something that has intrigued me for awhile. Every since I read parts of the dead sea scrolls when they came to Sydney. I know it goes against things that was taught as I was growing up, but I don't understand why it is so hard to believe he was a man. That was the point of him being here, he was just a man, a great man/teacher/prophet that showed us how to live a good life and that God is the true God. The book is just a story, a fiction story, that is obviously written well enough to have the church coming out condemning it. But if it isn't true then why is the church so against it? Why not just let it go and let people figure it out for themselves? Just my thoughts. I hope I haven't offended anyone by what I have said, but I think that there needs to be more debate like this in the world of christianity. I think that a lot of chrisitans think they are the elite and that no one else is good enough to join them. Anyone can believe and be a christian.
I don't want to finish on that note. I am still enjoying my time here and am looking forward to travelling in a couple of months, maybe Portugal.

No comments: