Sunday, October 01, 2006

May 6 2006


Lots to talk about, so many things happen in a month.I have played in 2 frisbee tournaments now and have felt so sore afterwards. I discovered muscles I never knew existed.The first tournament was in Liverpool. It was a mixed tournament and it went all weekend. We played 7 games over the two days. It was a great workout and it felt good to be back out there playing again. I ended up with quite a few strained muscles after the first game and struggled through the rest of the day. We managed to win 3 of our 4 games that day which was fantastic and it meant that we finished in the top 10. One of the teams was all boys and were not too impressed by being beaten by an all girls team. It felt great. A couple of the teams told us that we have some good strategies and that we ran them around quite a bit. Which was good for us. That night we had a party, with a theme of 'Invaders.' I was completely exhausted and was having trouble walking so sat in the corner a bit. We played a few drinking games and watched people trying to dance. There were some very interesting costumes. I went as a Viking, some people dressed as Trojan's and came in behind a cardboard cutout of a horse. There were soldiers and a group of guys dressed as sperm. We only stayed for a couple of hours and then went back to the place we were staying at to sleep.Woke up the next morning and my body felt very tight and I though I would never be able to move without pain every again. But I pushed through the pain. The second day we treated as fun and played as well as we could but didn't manage to win any of our games that day. Our final game was an absolute laugh, we mucked around quite a bit and had some fun. Luckily the other team wanted to have a muck around as well. One of the defensive moves was called 'hairy nipples,' which involved them lifting up the shirts and aiming their chest at whoever was throwing the disk. Very funny and very off-putting so their tactic worked. Hey beat us but it was a good game.Last week we went to Leeds. It was a mini tournament with only 2 games each. But they were full length games. In Liverpool the games were only 50mins, in Leeds they were 75mins. Plus we only had nine players, which means we only had two subs, whereas the other two teams had almost two entire teams. Very intimidating. We didn't win either of our games, but managed to work on our strategies and pulled a couple off which was great. The funniest thing was that there were 2 Aussies on one of the opposing teams. One was from Canberra, the other was a girl I used to play against when I played back in Sydney. Very small world. It was a good training session and I definately wasn't as sore as I was after Liverpool.Last night was Ladies Night again. I went so well. I managed to bring my lap time down to 26.12, from 28.60. I also made it into the final. I finished 6th overall out of 17. In the final I managed to over take someone and ended up 5th. I had an absolute blinder last night. Even all the marshalls were cheering me. I won my final heat and as I pulled into the pits the marshals gave me thumbs up and said well done. It felt really good. It must have been the red race suit I wore. Hopefully I can do it again next time.I finally have a job. This one is definate and I start on Monday. It is with Daytona who I have been working with as a temp. I will be the head receptionist. Which means I will be in charge of the whole front area. I will coordinate the two other receptionist and create the rota as well as ordering everything. I will also be acting as a kind of PA to the manager and assistant manager. Everyone is really happy that I am going to stay. They have been trying everything they can to keep me including offereing me more money than another receptionist would get which is fantastic. I am really enjoying working there and I am getting right into the karting. I even had the owner of Daytona call me to say that he was very happy I would be joing the team and staying with them. I have met him a couple of times. Dad if you read this, he reminds me of Robert Shannon (for those of you who have no idea who that is, he is the guy who started Shannon's insurance, where dad works). But I am really happy and I can finally stop looking for a job, which is a huge weight off my shoulders.Yesterday at work I met Christiano Ronaldo. He is a Manchester United player, quite well known over here and I got my photo taken with him. He came in a week ago to do some filming for a tv show. He must of enjoyed it as he sent someone in to book a two hour session for him. He didn't manage to race that whole time, but he wants to come back again. Then I got my photo with him. Very cool. It was enough to turn me into a United fan.Andrew is going well. He is still looking around for work that isn't recruiting. He isn't enjoying his job so much any more and wants to try something else. He has some interviews so we will see what comes of them. He hasn't been able to come with me to any our my tournaments which is a shame. He has never watched a frisbee match before. He is still keeping up the running but hasn't entered any more races since the Liverpool half marathon. Some of the runs here require you to raise a certain amount of money before you can enter them. It is an interesting idea, a good way to raise a lot of money for different charities, and there are so many of them, even just in Manchester, then there are ones all over the country. He has decided to enter the London Marathon next year. He has started training already, by running longer distances. We also try and get out every night to throw the frisbee around. The evenings are starting to get longer and it doesn't really start to get dark until about 9pm. So after work we run down to the park and throw around. I am trying to work on a few things outside of my team training, and Andrew is learning to throw a few different passes. It is good exercise for the both of us and a great way to enjoy the evening. The park is usually packed with a lot of people, both old and young. One night we had a young boy ask if he could throw with us. He was pretty good, if he had been older I would have asked him to join one of the Manchester teams.The weather has been really great this last week. Nice spring weather, actually quite warm as well, well warm for England. Everyone has been out in their T-shirts and shorts, and the beer gardens have been packed with people every night. I love spring here. I love the fact that you can really see the seasonal changes. I don't think we appreciate the changes so much. Here the changes aren't small or gradual. They are big and happen within a fairly short period. It's great. We have lots of birds and colourful flowers outside our windows now.

No comments: